Thursday, February 12, 2009

An Inspirational Thought

It's very hard to be a productive member of society when you feel like your head is stuck in a big glass fishbowl. Congestion is a special gift.

But yesterday's thought from my planner made me feel better about my inability to achieve greatness (or even averageness).

“Here’s a mantra for the bad days at work, the ones where you don’t think you can do anything: I’m working harder than I think. I’m accomplishing more than I know. And right now, I’m going to give myself points for just showing up. Say it, and you’ll feel better about what tasks you do end up tackling.”
-Marcia Menter

Apparently, Marcia Menter wrote "Office Sutras: Exercises for Your Soul at Work," designed to "help readers find opportunities for growth and peace in even the most stultifying of work situations." (Thanks to Amazon for that lovely summary.) So basically, she's making the big bucks for making people feel all fuzzy inside. And it worked on me. I did show up, and for that alone I deserve lots of presents. And a cheeseburger. And a pony. Thank you, Marcia Menter, for justifying my poor performance.

Song of the day: Forthcoming.

2 comments:

MBC said...

Come back, E. Please.

Kirsten said...

E., I was just going to ask if this was a test to see who was faithfully reading your blog for new posts. Like, MBC says, come back, E. come back.