Sunday, November 29, 2009

What a sad, sad Christmas.

So it's officially the Christmas season now, which means we can bust out all of the holiday piano music for young and old to enjoy. The Bean and his little cousins particularly like selections from the Readers Digest Christmas Songbook, especially Frosty the Snowman as played by their grandmother (but she can only play the first page of the song, because that's the only page with a picture of a snowman on it, and when she turns to the pages that are sans Frosty, the kids think she's not playing the right song anymore).

Anyway, I was thumbing through the songbook looking for some new and exciting songs, and I stumbled upon two that I believe were written in the 40s and do not generate feelings of joy and happiness when I hear them. The first is The Little Boy that Santa Forgot, which is all about this kid who didn't ask for much but didn't get anything, and it contains the joyous line "I'm so sorry for that laddie, he hasn't got a daddy." It's an upbeat tune if I ever heard one.

The next one is also supposed to be sad (I think), but the title makes me giggle. It's called Will Santy Come to Shanty Town? I like the rhyming of Santy and Shanty, even though I'm probably supposed to be thinking about the children.

So those are my peppy Christmas hits for the day, and they will be the songs of the day today. What are some other depressing Christmas tunes that you love/love to hate/really hate? Let me know because I love the comments.

1 comment:

MBC said...

I have no suggestions, but I think it's hilarious that your Mom can only play the first page of Frosty. Bwahahaha. That's how I laugh when I think about it.