Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Scenes from the madness.

Today it snowed. And I decided that since Doug would be partying in a mortuary (I'll save that story for another day) and couldn't drive me to work, I would work from home. But then a work emergency-type-thing occurred, and I had to make the commute. There are a lot of things I grumble about, but there a few things I truly hate, and driving in the snow is one of them. Honestly, if you made me have to choose from dental work, major surgery, or driving in the snow, I may lean toward the first two, just it's OK to be sedated when you're involved in them.

For those who may have stumbled upon this blog purely by accident--I am not a physician or a zookeeper or some other profession where emergencies constantly arise. But there can be editing emergencies, right? I guess so, because there was (kind of) one today.

Anyway,I changed from my comfy pjs to my unfriendly work clothes and made the trek. I don't remember a lot from driver's ed, but I do remember one thing: FOLLOWING DISTANCE! Especially when the weather is bad, I try to maintain at least three football fields' distance between me and the next car for fear that I will have to brake suddenly. Apparently, other drivers are not this cautious. There was this lady following me this morning who must have wanted to share brownie recipes or something, because she was sticking to me like nobody's business. It made me terribly fearful.

After the freeway, I had to deal with the side streets, which were atrocious. Too much slipping and sliding for me. I just wanted to go home.

But here's the most beautiful part of the trip: On the freeway, I was passed by this truck hauling this car that had two life-size Incredible Hulk figures sticking out of it. What a thing of beauty.

Songs of the day--It was a long commute, so I heard two songs that touched me:
1) Love Will Keep Us Together, by The Captain and Tennille. This was in the beginning of the journey, when I thought that staying positive was actually an option. Silly, silly me.
2) King of Pain, by the Police. I love this song, and it seemed appropriate for the drab, meaningless experience (except for the Hulks) I was having when I heard it.

1 comment:

MBC said...

"There was this lady following me this morning who must have wanted to share brownie recipes or something, because she was sticking to me like nobody's business."

=

Bwahahaha!