Today at work I was handed a get-well card for someone I don't actually work with and only kind-of know. I know her well enough to know that I'm sorry she's not feeling well, but it's not like we've been friends since 10th grade and I can write a touching tribute about that one really cool time and how I hope she heals soon so that we can have more really cool times. Instead, I went with the ever-so creative "Get well soon!" Why Hallmark hasn't called me up yet, I'll never know.
I really struggle with the pass-around cards, especially if 1) the card is not commemorating a happy occasion, or 2) there aren't a lot of signatures. (If it's already been signed by 500 people, I can just squeeze my name into a corner somewhere and be done with it.) I am very concerned about going overboard and being too friendly or casual. As a result, I stick with the tried and true: I'm thinking of you, Get better soon, or That's a shame about your parakeet. If anyone has any better ideas for card signatures, I'd be glad to hear them. Or maybe you could send me a card expressing sympathy for my poor signing skills.
3 comments:
Thanks for the tip about the Thin Mint ice cream. I'll have to check that out.
As for signing cards, you've asked the wrong person. Hopefully there are some other creative people to help you out. I always see what other people have said and think, "Oh, man. That's what I wanted to say." So then I write something cheesy and generic.
This reminds me of yearbook day - people I don't really know wanting me to sign their yearbook.
"Stay cool, have a great summer!"
"It was great having you in biology - See you next year."
"Stay smart - have a great break!"
Perhaps it's really only all about the signature... "Hey - remember me? I was here..."
Shayla: I'm all about the cheesy and generic when it comes to signing cards. Maybe I should start writing haikus instead.
Q: It's totally like signing yearbooks, or in the case of get well cards, yearbooks for sick people.
Post a Comment