It is late, and I don't know why I am up writing at this hour of the night, but I was told today about a dear little blog reader who loves to read about my cheese-related goings on, so this post is for you, my secret friend.
First of all, a little story:
Doug and I had a roof leakage issue, which turned into a moldy carpet issue, which turned into a carpet replacement issue. We were happy about the new carpet, but only at 11 p.m. the night before the carpet guys were set to come did we realize that the closet where most of our earthly belongings have come to rest was carpeted and that all of the stuff in said closet had to be relocated immediately. As a result of that relocation, my cheese book wound up in parts unknown, and I hope to find it soon. I can only do so much without my cheese book.
But here is what I did:
On a day that wasn't so great, I visited the Whole Foods Market downtown and checked out their lovely cheese selection. I was able to find Mahon cheese, which is a semi-soft cheese recommended by my cheese book. This cheese comes from Spain. According to some websites I perused, it is one of the few cow's milk cheeses made in Spain, and it is made on the island of Menorca. Doug liked it more than the other cheeses I have brought home, but I think that's mostly because it came from a cow. He is anti-goat, and I don't think that's healthy.
What I discovered about the Mahon cheese is that it's OK sliced and eaten, but when it is melted, it becomes this rich, buttery, delicious bit of yumminess. I think I need to try it with some better bread and toppings to get the full experience. There was a recipe for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich (featuring Mahon) in my cheese book; if I ever find the book, I vow to make the sandwich and provide a full report.
No comments:
Post a Comment