Although there are many pie flavors that delight my soul and gladden my heart, there is one that is a rare but beautiful thing, and that is chess pie, aka buttermilk pie. (They may be slightly different things, but to me they are the same and they are both wonderous.) Here's why these pies are so good--sugar and eggs, people. That's all you need for a party in your mouth. And here's the other thing about these pies: they're not much to look at, so a lot of people might pass them by, but that's good news for people in the know, because that means you get more!

Last night at the Doug family party, someone brought some of these pies, and I about fainted. I had a slice and was transported back to magical memories.
Memory #1: My High School Job
As a teen, I worked in the kitchen of a care center for the elderly, and this pie sometimes made it on to the menu. I was so happy when it was buttermilk pie week. The flaky crust, the eggy, sugary goodness, oh the joy. It almost made me forget about how I had to get up at quarter to the earliest time ever on a Saturday morning to be there.
Memory #2: Pies w/ MBC
MBC went through a pie-making phase when we lived together, and I was the beneficiary of this phase. One of her pies was a chess pie. To this day, MBC will say that I took one for the team because I ate her failure of a pie. But I dispute that. It was not a failure, it was special to me, and I will forver cherish it. So there.
Memory #3: Pie Overboard
Last night after the Doug party, Doug's mom brought home the aforementioned pies, and I was trying to be all sneaky and have another slice, but when I lifted the piece out of the tin, it flopped right into a big bowl of raspberry topping. I had to scoop the slice out, plus try to pick all of the crumbs out of the topping. It was worth it.
The moral of today's story: Have some chess pie. It will make you happy.
Song of the day: I've decided to peruse various Christmas albums to find songs that you may not know (or want to know), but you might like this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment