Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My New Best Friend

Two posts in the same week! It's a miracle.

Today was a nice day and since there's nothing better to do on a nice day than buy cheese, I thought I'd go out and do just that. I will save the details of my cheese hunt for another day, with the exception of this little tidbit:

I was at the local grocery store, scoping out the goat cheeses, when Doug and the Bean struck up a conversation with a nice woman at the counter; I had seen her before, but I had never said much to her. I walked over to join the conversation, and Doug pointed out that this was not just any old employee. This woman was an official cheesemonger! It even said so on her name tag.

I felt like I was in the presence of Elvis. I wanted to ask her a million different questions about cheesemongery, but all I managed to say is "That's what I want to be when I grow up." (Kind of lame, but totally true.) She said that she absolutely loves her job, which made me jealous and joyful both at the same time.

Here's the question--do you think I should return and reveal my cheese mission to her so that she will give me helpful tips, or should I just skulk around the cheese counter like I currently do? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

I think you should reveal your mission to this cheesemongerer. One day when you are a cheesemongerer you will want others to reveal their cheese missions to you so that you can guide them to the best cheese choices.

E said...

That's true. I will do it! (I just don't know when.)