Just so you know, tonight was one of the greatest cheese-tasting nights of my life. I can't wait to share my experience, complete with a (much better) photo, with all of you!
But that will have to wait, because I have to tell you about the cheeses I bought earlier this week. This week's assignment was to buy surface-ripened cheeses, which are a lot like the soft-ripened ones: rind on the outside, soft in the middle. However, due to the presence of a different kind of mold, the rind is wrinkly and brain-like. I found one of these cheeses, but it cost about $3 million for a round of cheese the size of an electron (that was hyperbole, but it was really expensive), so I tried some other cheeses.
First, I tried Fromager d'Affinois, which is a lovely double creme Brie. This was so good--I think it is the best Brie I have ever had. And here's the deal: I didn't realize that you could (or would want to) melt a soft cheese. You do. You want to melt it every day. On a bagel. In the rain. On a train. With a goat. On a boat. You know you want to melt it, so just do it. This Brie just has a lovely, creamy taste to it without being too rich. It's good stuff.
Second, I tried this french goat cheesy type thing. I think it's called Buche de Chevre or something like that. Here's a picture that I did not take:
It was different from some of the other softer cheeses I have tried. First, it was a goat cheese, which meant it had a little kick to it that cow cheeses don't have. Second, it really had three layers to it. It had the rind (which had kind of a bitter, long-lasting taste: not my favorite, then the creamy part (pretty good), then a chalky, tangy center. This is probably really boring. If you're still reading, I applaud you.
Anyway, I love cheese, and I loved the Brie and liked the goat. I will be back another day with tales of the BEST CHEESE TASTING EVER!!!!!!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment