Hi to anyone who didn't give up on me during my winter hiatus!
It's a new year, which means lots of new stuff to discuss. Here's what happened today:
Santa gave The Bean a set of Disney-themed Golden Books. These books are reprints of the originals, which were printed many years ago. This afternoon, I decided The Bean and I should read one, and so I randomly chose Bambi. I don't know how much he learned from our reading time, but here are my thoughts:
1. Why is it that Bambi is often considered the name of a ditzy girl, but Bambi the deer is a boy?
2. Why is it, that in most Disney movies, the main character's mother is not in the picture (or something bad happens to her during the movie)? Doug and I tried to come up with Disney cartoons where the unwicked, un-step mom is actually in the movie. We came up with three. Can you figure them out? Oddly enough, none of them are human.
3. What have we done to the attention spans of children? This copy of Bambi, originally printed in 1928 (or something like that), a book that was designed for young children, had complete pages with NOTHING BUT TEXT and some little pictures in the corners. Would we expect a child today to read that much without some visual stimulation? Doubtful.
What an enlightening experience for me. I can't wait to read The Three Little Pigs.
Song of the Day: "Sparkle and Shine" by Steve Earle. If someone were to write a song about me, I think I would choose this one. There aren't enough romantic ballads that include the phrase "I'm breathless 'cause she's so cool."
2 comments:
I love the songs of the day. Never stop with the recommending.
Does the mother's cameo appearance at the end of Sleeping Beauty count? I am going to have to think about the other three movies. Only focusing on the non-human mother narrows the list.
Post a Comment