So, on Saturday I'm going to my first ever, not on the Internet, official book club meeting.
I don't know why I've never been in a book club -- I like books, I like clubs (because there are usually refreshments at clubs), and I like to hang out with the members of the newly formed club.
Here's my problem--I don't really know how to talk about books. I kind of imagine our meeting going something like this:
Book club member: So what were your impressions about the book?
Me: I liked it. Is that artichoke dip?
Book club member: What do you think the overall message of the book was?
Me: Love. Can I have some pie now?
So all of you book club members out there who may be reading this, take pity on me--I have no clue what I'm doing!
And those of you who have done this book club thing before--any pointers?
JUST A REMINDER: Please vote in the Tuesday Poll! The M-Town Community Theater's premiere season is in your hands!
2 comments:
I hate being in book clubs. I always either end up with people who have wacked out ideas about books and reading (read: opinions different than mine) and want everything in fiction to be all righteous and boring OR no one reads the book at all. Booooo!
Yeah, there have been a few offers for book clubs in the past where I didn't know the people and I thought the book choices were a little odd.
I like these people and the first book was good, so I'll give it shot.
But if this doesn't work out, I think I'll start a dancing and cheese-eating club.
Post a Comment