OK, so one more thing about the Olympics . . . .
Actually, it's not a rant about the Olympics, it's more of a rant against Brazil. I really have nothing against Brazil. I've never been there, but I'm sure it's a nice place. My problem is with the fact that it seems like ANY ATHLETE WHO WINS ANYTHING thinks they have earned one-name status.
We were watching beach volleyball this afternoon, and all four of the Brazilians only went by their first name. Really? For beach volleyball?
I understand that Pele was a great soccer player, and he probably earned his one-name title. But if everyone achieves one-name status, won't that be confusing? How will you be able to tell Fabio the volleyball player from Fabio the plumber? What if you call Fabio to unclog your drains and some guy shows up looking for a beach party? Isn't that why last names were invented in the first place? Think about that, Brazilians, before your society spins into mass chaos.
3 comments:
I'll play Robin to your Batman.
Isn't an all Brazilian semi like WWF (hinting at it being rigged)? Kinda makes me think they should pick a team to advance. Like when the Williams sisters play each other. Is the coach coaching all four players? I don’t know, just seems weird. Also on my weird list, Chinese judges judging Chinese athletes. Shouldn't there be a recusation clause? I mean, do we honestly believe that they will be giving the lowest marks among the judges? And when they do give the highest marks, we say, ‘of course,’ and we all look the other way.
Anyway, I think diaper changing should be an Olympic event. I think I might be able to set a world record time….
Olympic diaper changing -- an excellent idea, but I wouldn't do very well. The Bean is too squirmy.
Yeah, the Chinese shouldn't judge the Chinese, but then you bring in judges from Swaziland or wherever who don't know the sport as well and then that causes a whole new set of problems!
Post a Comment