Since The Bean's birth (approximately 6.5 months ago), Doug and I have gone to one movie. We've rented a few DVDs, but not many. (We started watching "Iron Man," but it seems like it was just Robert Downey Jr. building stuff. Should we have stuck with it a little longer? Many people have said good things about it.)
However, in the weeks leading up to and immediately following The Bean's arrival, we were all over the DVD renting. Here are my three tips for semi-obscure movies that you may find in your local video store (or on Netflix) that are, in my opinion, worth watching.
1. Lars and the Real Girl. Now stick with me on this one. This is a sweet story of a man and his relationship with a life-size doll that he orders off the Internet. Yes, it's strange, but it's cute and touching to see how much support and love he gets from his family and friends. Ryan Gosling does an excellent job as Lars, and the supporting cast is excellent. This, not Juno, should have been The Quirky Movie of 2007.
2. Year of the Dog. Written and directed by Mike White, who also co-wrote Nacho Libre and played Ned Schneebly in School of Rock, this stars Molly Shannon as a quiet office worker who, after tragedy strikes, becomes very involved in the animal rights movement. I've never been a big Molly Shannon fan, but I liked her in this. Again, it's a little odd, but if you're up for it, you might enjoy it.
3. King of Kong. This is a great documentary about Steve Wiebe (such a great name) who is trying to break through the video-game-record-setting bureaucracy to prove that he is the true Donkey Kong recordholder. If you're a fan of 80s stuff and documentaries, check this one out.
So there you have it! My DVD recommendations. When The Bean turns 15 and I start watching movies again, maybe I'll have some more reviews.
And now for a new segment on my blog, Song of the Day. It may be a new song or an old song or whatever gets stuck in my mind at any given moment. Todays song is "Garden Rose" by Kris Delmhorst. Kris reminds me of happy times in the Midwest, and this song fills me with optimism and strength--kind of like a musical hug. (I tried to find somewhere online where a musical snippet was available, but I couldn't. It's a good song though.)
2 comments:
E. I will back you up on "Lars and the Real Girl." Saw it a couple of weeks ago and loved it. I watched it with a group of friends here in the big city of E. and they were pleased with my choice of film, because I was the one who picked it out when nobody else would make a decision. Highly recommend watching if you have not yet done so.
Is that a Rothko painting that appears on your blog and when you make a comment? I like it.
Glad you liked Lars--it's a cute show.
Why yes, this is a Rothko painting. I had to pick the orange one to go with the rest of the blog decor.
Post a Comment